Halloween is around the corner, and if you’re anything like me you are probably trying to think of last-minute healthy Halloween treats for you and your loved ones. Knowing how detrimental common food allergens such as sugar, dairy products, wheat flour, food dyes and other gluten-containing foods can be to your diet, I try my best to avoid them and substitute them where I can.
If you already know you’re allergic to certain foods or haven’t taken the time to run your food allergy panel with your naturopathic doctor; I made an easy to use reference to substitute common baking ingredients:
I wanted to highlight a paleo, vegan and gluten-free brownie recipe that is free of processed sugar. We originally found this recipe through: thebigmansworld.com made by: Arman. (Thanks Arman!!) Dr. Dylan and I absolutely love these brownies, we made them last night “a-la-mode” style with vegan coconut ice cream. Delicious.
Healthy Naturopathic 4 Ingredient Flourless Brownies
- 1-2 sweet potatoes to make 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- ½ cup smooth nut butter of choice
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 scoop Orgain’s chocolate protein powder
- coconut oil
- handful of sliced almonds
- Optional: handful of cacao nibs
- Preheat the oven the 350 degrees, grease with coconut oil a small cake pan or loaf pan and set aside.
- Set a medium-sized pot of water to boil.
- Cut sweet potato in halves and set into boiling water, then set to simmer. Check with a fork, once soft, mash the potatoes.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl or stovetop, melt your nut butter with your pure maple syrup.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the mashed sweet potato, nut butter, maple syrup, protein powder, and cocoa powder and mix very well. If using cacao nibs, stir them through.
- Pour the mixture into the greased pan, sprinkle the almond slices on top and bake for around 20 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before slicing into pieces.
For more information about Dr. Dylan W. Krueger, NMD, Dr. Michelle Barraza, NMD, Stem Cell Therapy, Platelet Rich Plasma, our Gilbert location, or Naturopathic Medicine, please call 480-648-1534 or email us at: email@example.com call 480-648-1534
Adapted from The Big Man’s World By Arman